Tuesday, January 19, 2010

ANNA KARENINA & PERFUME

ANNA KARENINA & PERFUME
Recently, I finished reading ANNA KARENINA. I enjoyed the book until the last few chapters. After Anna commits suicide, I would have liked to have known more about her son and Alexey Karine's thoughts. Instead, Tolstoy's focus was on Levin (who's character was my favorite in this novel) and his religious quest.
I am now reading PERFUME The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. This story takes place in 18Th century Paris. An orphan is born with no body odor of his own but with a highly developed sense of smell. He attempts to create the ultimate perfume by killing virgin women and taking their scent. I became interested in this book after checking the top 100 list. Approximately six months ago, I found out that Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, was inspired by PERFUME to write the song SCENTLESS APPRENTICE from his IN UTERO album. I couldn't wait to tell my daughter & her friends as they were obsessed with Nirvana (since then she is now obsessed with The Misfits). The next day I went to the public library ready to have a great read. To my dismay, the only copy had been checked out! I had made sure the book was available via on-line, so I was a little confused. When my daughter came home from school, she told me they went to the library on their lunch hour & checked out the book! I thought this was really funny.
I would recommend both novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment